Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Journal 4

Journal 4

1.14.09

Today we got partners for the thesis project. We were divided up according to what type of thesis we would be doing. My thesis deals with creating a solution to the problem of how hospitals are currently ill equipped to handled any mass influx of patients due to a biological terrorist attack. Since my thesis deals with the medical/science field Kalynn C. is my partner.

I talked with Mr. Engholm about a possible Inquiry Statement and he told me that basically I was on the right track with my I.S. (Inquiry Statement) but that I should make sure that my statement is open to change.

My Inquiry Statement:
  • I am curious as to how I create the best possible solution to the problem of United States hospitals being ill equipped to handle a massive influx of patients due to a biological terrorist attack.

Tentative research questions are as follows:
  • What history is there of Biological Terrorist attacks around the world?
  • Are C/B (chemical/ biological) terrorist attacks even a probable threat to the United States? - This question basically asks whether or not my thesis will hold water - if you know what I mean.
  • What solutions have previously been proposed about this issue, if any at all? - This would be good for me to know so that my solution wouldn't copy someone elses.
  • What kinds of materials would be necessary to prepare a single hospital to handle a possible C/B attack?
  • How much would my solution cost/ per hospital?
  • Would it be necessary to equip every hospital to be able to handle an influx C/B attack patients?
  • If not which hospitals should be equipped?
  • Would the total cost be and would it be practical to equip hospitals all at once?
  • Should I incorporate an implementation schedule for my solution?
  • Who should I talk to about my idea to access my potential solutions practicality? - This would have to be someone involved in a hospitals administrative staff.
  • How could I make my solution fiscally responsible?
  • Would it be possible to get government funding for my solution, possible later on? Categorical/ Block grants given to my plan to cut down the cost for each individual hospital? - My goal here is not to shut down hospitals or to send them into bankruptcy with the introduction of my plan, which makes me think that I need to make sure that I find a PRACTICAL way to implement my solution

Well these are my questions and there are going to be more!!! I don't know if I will be able to answer all of these questions but MR.ENGHOLM IF YOU READ THIS COULD YOU PLEASE RESPOND!! Comments would be great, I need some feedback. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment